In this fascinating podcast Siobhan from Nordic Model Now! talks with Dr Jacci Stoyle about a Scottish parliamentary trip to Sweden to find out more about how the Swedish prostitution law works in practice. The trip took place on 22nd and 23rd August 2019.
The trip was part of the work of the Cross Party Group (CPG) on Commercial Sexual Exploitation in the Scottish Parliament, of which Jacci is the secretariat.
Duration: 23.45 minutes | File size: 16.2 MB | Play in new window (with option to download file)
If you prefer to read, rather than listen, please see Jacci’s report on the trip.
The delegation to Sweden included: The Minister for Community Safety, Ash Denham, MSP for Edinburgh East, CPG member Jeffrey Balfour, MSP for Lothian, Lynsay Ross and Paddy Makin, two members of the Violence Against Women Government Policy Unit, DCI Rory Hamilton from the National Rape Task Force and Human Trafficking Unit, and Eilidh Dickson from Engender.
In Sweden, the group met with:
- Per-Anders Sunesson, Swedish Ambassador at large for trafficking
- DS Kajsa Wahlberg, the National Rapporteur on Trafficking in Human Beings
- Simon Häggström, Expert, National Operations Department Swedish Police Authority
- Marie Lind Thomsen Senior Prosecutor, Swedish Prosecution Authority
- Pia Ringkrans and Sofie Lidbeck, who run Mikamottagningen – a municipal organisation that offers help to persons who have experienced sexual exploitation
- Anna Skarhed Former Chancellor of justice who evaluated the Sex Purchase Act in 2010
- Anna and Josefine, who founded Talita, an NGO that works with women involved in prostitution.
- Report on the Scottish Parliamentary Prostitution Fact Finding Trip to Sweden
- How the Swedish Sex Purchase Law moved the shame of prostitution from the women to the punters
- How a Nordic Model approach to tackling prostitution was implemented in Ipswich
Many thanks to Risto Juola for helping to prepare this podcast.